Tuesday 1 April 2014

Wool by Hugh Howey

I had heard of the novel before I bought it, I knew that it had critical acclaim but as always I chose to just plunge in and form my own opinion.  Post apocalyptic, dystopian and captive universe novels have always fascinated me. The whole quest of: What if we had a fresh start? Captures my imagination. I'm a pessimist and a bit of a cynic so it is perhaps unsurprising that this kind of fiction appeals to me.

Wool is most definitely a page-turner. I wanted to discover the secrets of the silo from the opening pages. Howey kept me reading at a voracious rate. The story telling aspect was top notch, the prose was uncluttered and it flowed superbly. However, I found the characters a tad undeveloped. Bernard was a convincing enough villain and we do discover his motivation ultimately but he's just a little two dimensional. A cartoon villain if you will. I felt much the same about Lukas. This strange dreamer was a character I could neither understand nor get to grips with.  Overall a book worth reading but it didn't rock my world. A solid three stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment